Thursday, March 4, 2010

Let's Talk Coffee...

I gave you a teaser last week that I would post soon about coffee "my way".  Well, the time has come.

I'm no coffee snob, I don't grind my coffee beans fresh daily, and I'm not even extremely picky about the type of coffee I drink.  I buy various brands of coffee.  Sometimes whatever is on sale or whatever sounds good at the time.  Matt dictates that it can't be a flavored coffee.  He hates those and I'm fine with that.  Usually we pick a medium to dark roast.

I AM, however, concerned about what goes IN my coffee!  There are 3 things I put in my coffee that make me happy.



I mentioned coconut oil once before.  I've started sneaking adding about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the coffee grounds (Matt still hasn't realized it!).  The coconut oil (unrefined, cold pressed, "extra virgin", etc.) is so good for you and putting it in coffee is a good way to get that oil into your daily diet. 



When I was on my "Coconut Kick", I decided to try replacing the cream in my coffee with coconut milk.  When you look at the calorie and fat content it's about half that of cream (yes, I used full fat heavy cream) and, although I do not claim to be an expert by any means, I believe the type of fat in the coconut milk is much better for you than what you get from heavy cream (and if I'm wrong, please allow me to remain blissfully ignorant).  I've been drinking my coffee with coconut milk for about 2 months now and I'm totally hooked.  I don't want it any other way!




Several years ago, Matt started topping off his coffee with some Reddi Whip we had leftover from some dessert (when he wasn't squirting it directly into his mouth!).  It caught on and I started adding it to my cup of coffee...now we buy Reddi Whip for the sole purpose of topping our coffee!




And that's coffee..."my way"!

No comments:

Post a Comment