Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm Back!

This weekend was kind of rough for me - I had that sore-throat-achy feeling off and on all weekend.  Needless to say, absolutely NO painting got done - zip...zilch...nada!  That's about the same amount of running I did over the weekend too.   I'm not sure I'm totally over the "crud", but I was well enough to go to work this morning and I'm going to keep fighting it! 

So I came home from work today and went for a short run.


I've decided that I'm satisfied with these short runs (i.e. less than 3 miles) during the week.  I put so much pressure on myself to always do more, and I got the idea in my head that doing less than 3 miles at a time was not acceptable.  What the hell?!  For now I will focus on speed during the week and save the longer runs for the weekend ("speed" for me means less than 10 minute miles).  This is so much more motivating!  I obviously didn't make it today, but I was close! 

I made some Israeli couscous for dinner tonight.  We've never tried it before, but every time I see it in the bulk section of the grocery store I'm intrigued.  What I had in mind was a side dish of Israeli couscous with roasted veggies.  I roasted broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, red pepper, and mushrooms at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.


When I stuck this in the oven, the cookie sheet was covered with veggies.  It's amazing how much they shrunk.  They tasted awesome though! 

I threw some steaks on the grill and then started cooking the couscous.  First, I toasted it in some EVOO and then added beef broth and simmered for about 12 minutes.  


Once the couscous was done I mixed it with the veggies.  


It was good and it was a winner with the family.  We all agreed, however, that the roasted veggies were better by themselves.  When I added them in with the couscous they lost their crispiness.  Next time, I'll serve them separately.



No comments:

Post a Comment